un recorrido por el arte mudéjar aragonés
webmaster: José Antonio Tolosa (Zaragoza -España-)

CHURCH OF SAN PEDRO OF FRANCOS (CALATAYUD)


The church is presently completely surrounded by buildings, so that only the gable wall and the principal doorway next to the tower are visible on the Calle Rúa. The church has three aisles that terminate in three apses in the presbytery.

1 PORTADA Y ABSIDE 2 ABSIDE LATERAL 3 CONTRAFUERTES DEL ABSIDE

During the Middle Ages the church, along with San Andrés, served as a meeting place for the City Council until the building of the first city hall in the 16th century. It is also known that its doorway served as a place for administering justice. The Aragonese Cortes also met here on various occasions. At the end of the 14th Century, King Martín el Humano called a meeting here between the Calatayud City Council and the representatives of the surrounding towns to put an end to the differences existing between them, which on some occasions had aroused armed conflict.

4 ABSIDE Y MURO LATERAL 5 MURO LATERAL DE LA IGLESIA

The best known of these assemblies was that of 1411, when representatives of the three kingdoms met to resolve the succession problem caused by the death of Martin el Humano who had no issue; a question of succession that would be resolved later as the Compromise of Caspe. In 1461, Juan II summoned the Cortes to this church, and upon making public the death of Carlos of Viana, Prince Fernando was named as his successor on the 11th of October of that year.

ABSIDE LATERAL

On 29th September, 1874, the church was sold as a consequence of the Dissolution for the quantity of “four thousand duros.” With the restoration of the monarchy and the ensuing political changes, it was opened again for worship the following year. The restoration of the church began in 1979, and has extended almost up to the present day.

7 ABSIDE CENTRAL 8 CONTRAFUERTES Y ABSIDE LATERAL

The only Mudéjar and interesting part of the building is the triple apse of the presbytery, which is only partially visible from behind from the back entrance by the Calle Bodeguilla, or from the windows of houses on the same street that look out towards the church. The three apses are polygonal with five sides that are partially covered up. The center one is higher than those on the sides, and fat brick buttresses reinforce their junctions. These do not extend up to the full height of the walls; this is unusual in Aragonese Mudéjar. Their bases, like those of the apses, are of stone.

PARTE ALTA DE LOS ABSIDES

The wall of the first bay and part of the second on the left side of the church are also visible, with a big buttress between them. In the first bay there is a window with a pointed arch with an archivolt of molding.

10 VENTANA DEL TEMPLO 11 ARCO APUNTADO EN VENTANA DEL ABSIDE LATERAL 12 ABSIDE LATERAL

 

Interactive map of the Region of the Community of Calatayud
 
Page of beginning
Ver estadísticas