un recorrido por el arte mudéjar aragonés
webmaster: José Antonio Tolosa (Zaragoza -España-)

Armijo Palace (Zaragoza)



At 7, C/Don Juan de Aragón, at the corner with C/del Lucero, is found what is called the Palace of Armijo, seat of the Justicia of Aragon. In 1147, the chapter of the Cathedral bought various houses from don Ponce de Fredalez, among them the one we refer to here, which seemed to be destined for the house of the Archpriest. We don’t know anything more until don Francisco de Armijo appeared as its proprietor in 1878, giving the building its present name.

Its owner transformed it into a neighborhood dwelling, it was declared a ruin in May of 1969, paradoxically in the same year the District of the Cathedral declared it an Artistic-Historic Complex. This declaration had no effect, since in 1971, demolition had begun when the Comisario de la Zona stopped it on orders from the Dirección General de Bellas Artes. When it was halted, the building was partially in ruins, with only the façade facing C/ D. Juan de Aragón, part of the one on the C/ de Lucero and the passage surrounding the patio still standing.

2 3 4

It would remain in this state until April, 1979, when the Ministry of Culture gave urgent orders to consolidate the building, the façade and the passage facing C/ D. Juan de Aragón, part of the façade of the C/ del Lucero and the eaves. A new consolidation project sponsored by the Ayuntamiento in 1985 under the direction of the architect Ursula Heredia Lagunas did not materialize, being reduced to the consolidation of the zone of the façade abutting number 9.

Finally, in the year 1994, the building was repurposed as the seat of the Justicia of Aragon, and was completely remodeled under the technical direction of the architects Isabel Elorza García and Manual Fernández Ramírez. it was completed on December 20, 1995, the date corresponding to the commemoration of the four hundred and fourth anniversary of the execution of Justice don Juan de Lanuza.

The reform retained the facades and the eaves, while the interior was completely redone, utilizing part of the elements still remaining, like the passages of the patio and part of the basement spaces. The also installed two wooden ceilings taken from the house called the House of the Knights, located on the corner between the calles Ciniego and Estébanes, demolished in 1993.

The palace is small and is made up of four stories and a basement, and follows the typology of 16th century Aragonese palaces. On the right part of the ground floor façade facing the C/D. Juan de Aragón is the simple arched main doorway. To its left are two flat openings. Three balconies are on the second, main floor, and above it, the classic gallery of double arched openings that run below the wooden gable with big brackets that support the purlin over which the beams are placed.

 

 
Mapa interactivo de la Comarca de Zaragoza
 
Página de inicio
Ver estadísticas